The Local Squire, William Lyde Wiggett Chute who lived at the Vyne House put up some money for the building of a school in the village. The School opened in 1850 and was to provide education to the labouring and manufacturing classes of the village. The School has had close links with the Vyne Estate ever since.
The driving force behind the school from the 1860s until 1925 was the local Rector D.W. Chute. The school has always has close links with St. Andrew’s Church. The School catered for pupils from the age of 4 until they left to go to work at 13 or 14 years old. There were many staff changes until 1899 when George Hammond became Headteacher. He created stability and leadership. He stayed until 1927. He was succeeded by Mr R Webber who is remembered with affection by past pupils. He saw the school through the Second World War, educating evacuees from Southampton alongside village children. Mr Weber retired in 1960.
The pupil numbers have remained fairly constant at around 100 give or take 10 either
Although superficially a modest structure, the detailed brick work and ornate woodwork gives character to the building. A flat roof extension was built in the 1960s and two “temporary” classrooms were put up in the 1970s. A new wing was added in 2002.