Sherborne St John Church of England Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
The school’s Safeguarding Policy applies to the whole school staff, along with governors and volunteers. We also follow Safe Recruitment procedures which ensure that all staff (and volunteers) have been appropriately checked.
In addition to this we:
• Raise awareness of safeguarding issues with staff and children, and equip the children with skills to keep themselves safe.
• Have procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse.
• Establish a safe environment free from any discrimination or bullying, where children can learn and develop happily.
We recognise that because of their day-to-day contact with children, school staff are ideally placed to observe the outward signs of abuse. Staff in our school will therefore:
• Report any inappropriate behaviour or activities to designated staff.
• Establish and maintain an environment in which children feel secure, are encouraged to talk and are listened to.
• Ensure that children know that they can approach any adult in school if they are worried and they will receive a consistent, supportive response.
• Provide opportunities for children to develop the skills they need to recognise, and stay safe from abuse.
Sometimes we may need to share information and work in partnership with other agencies when there are concerns regarding a child’s welfare.
Our Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSL) are:
Mrs Karen Payne (Headteacher)
Mrs Lucy Johnston and Miss Sarah Biles (Key Stage Leaders)
If you are concerned about a pupil’s welfare please either speak or write in a sealed envelope addressed to one of the DSLs, who will discuss the contents with you at the earliest opportunity that day.
If your concerns relate to the actions or behaviour of a member of staff (which could suggest that they are a danger to children) you should report this to the Headteacher, (or Chair of Governors if the concern relates to the Headteacher) in confidence, who will consider what action to take.